Sex Therapy in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Have the Sex You Want
Our team of Fort Lauderdale therapists offer sex therapy.
Sex Therapy helps you identify and work on the issues that are getting in the way of life’s most intimate act. When sexual wellness is compromised, it can have devastating effects both individually and relationally.
Talking about sex can feel awkward, talking about sexual problems can feel downright impossible. However, you cannot improve on something without addressing it.
Sex therapy creates a safe, non-judgemental, space for people to talk about sexual issues. Not only will you have a place to unpack what’s going on, but you’ll learn skills and evidence-based techniques to better communicate about these issues and how to address them head-on.
Possible Presenting Issues:
Sexual dysfunctions are among the most issues treated in Sex Therapy. A sexual dysfunction is any problem that affects a person from experiencing satisfaction during sexual activity.
These affect people of all gender identities and sexual orientations and are classified into four general categories:
- Arousal problems: Anything that affects a person’s ability to become or stay aroused.
- Desire Disorders: Lack of sexual desire or interest.
- Pain Disorders: Problems with pain related to sexual activity.
- Orgasm Disorders: Inability to reach orgasm or a delay in orgasm.
How Common are Sex Issues?
Sexual problems are more common than you might think. It’s estimated that around 43% of women and 31% of men report some degree of sexual dysfunction. Some of the more well-known among the general public include erectile dysfunction, lack of desire, premature or delayed orgasm or ejaculation.
What’s the cause?
The causes of these problems can range from hormonal, medication side-effects, physiological issues, or psychological in nature. Relational problems can also cause sexual dysfunctions.
Other reasons people may seek out sex therapy include issues with sexual shame, compulsive sexual behaviors, not knowing how to communicate about sex in relationships, general sex education, and low sexual confidence.
People interested in or part of BDSM/Kink communities and alternative relationship styles also tend to seek out sex therapy for help navigating this or when issues or concerns regarding these communities pop up.
How Can Sex Therapy Help?
Sex Therapy is a form of talk therapy which helps individuals and couples address medical, psychological, or relational factors affecting sexual satisfaction. The goal of sex therapy is to help people move past barriers that get in the way of overall satisfaction and pleasure in the sexual arena.
Clients are educated about the issues they are facing so they have a better personal understanding. They are taught how to communicate these issues to partners/spouses. They learn evidence-based skills and techniques to address the issues they are facing.
Sex therapy can be delivered as an individual or couple’s format. Many people are not familiar with sex therapy and so just to be clear, there is no actual sex involved in the therapy room or with the therapist.
How Can We Help?
If you are looking for a way to prioritize pleasure and reinvigorate your sex life, schedule a callback at the link below to get started. This 15-minute callback will give us an opportunity to discuss the issues at hand and assess If we would be the right fit. There’s no time like the present to get your sex life back on track.
What to expect in therapy for Erectile Dysfunction?
For some men, especially those under the care of a physician, erectile dysfunction (ED) therapy can be brief. Some men just need some additional support, or to learn some skills to deal with performance anxiety.
For others, a more traditional therapy route is the way to go, especially for men dealing with co-occuring issues like anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or trauma. Options will be discussed with your therapist during your first appointment.
What to do next
- Give us a call at 954-488-2933, send us a message or schedule a callback to get matched with one of our therapists
- If you would like one, our practice offers complimentary 15-minute phone consultations. During this consultation, we will learn more about your needs and goals. You'll be matched with one of our expert therapists
- Next, you'll meet with your grief therapist for an initial session. There, they will get a very thorough understanding of your unique background, history and what you'd like to accomplish. They’ll share ideas for an action plan and collaboratively, you'll both decide next steps
- Therapy typically includes other team members as appropriate. You might be recommended to visit a general physician, psychiatrist and/or dietician as part of your treatment team to address both mind and body
- How long does grief therapy last? The duration of therapy depends on many individual factors (e.g., the severity of symptoms, co-occurring conditions, your attendance in therapy, etc.). Generally speaking, some folks reach their goals as quickly as ten sessions whereas others may find it helpful to continue therapy sessions for several months. The course of therapy will be collaboratively decided between you and your therapist