DIALECTICAL BEHAVIOR THERAPY (DBT)
DBT helps us build a life worth living.
“You can’t change the ocean or the weather, no matter how hard you try. So it’s best to learn how to sail in all conditions.” Unknown
What is DBT?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is an evidence based treatment that is helpful for individuals struggling with unhealthy patterns of behavior, difficulty managing emotions, tolerating distress, and/or successfully engaging in relationships. Studies show that this treatment modality is helpful for numerous presenting issues. It's especially helpful for Borderline Personality Disorder and individuals who engage in self-destructive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Click here to learn more about DBT.
In DBT, clients will learn coping skills to better manage emotional turmoil and change behavior. DBT skills training is especially helpful to teach individuals how to tolerate distressing moments without engaging in problematic behaviors that simply make a bad situation worse. Specific skill sets are dedicated to improving relationships, emotion regulation, distress tolerance, and mindfulness.
In our practice, our therapists are DBT informed. What’s the difference between us and a fully adherent program?
Fully Adherent DBT
- DBT Individual Therapy
- DBT Skills Group Training
- Phone Coaching
- Consultation Team in which the therapists meet regularly
At The Psychology Group, we provide informed DBT which means some members on our team received advanced training in DBT and implement the skills and interventions in individual therapy. Currently, we are not certified in DBT and do not offer the skills training groups. However, we work closely with other practitioners who offer these groups nearby. An informed approach works best for those with a lower severity of symptoms. If you’re not sure if this is sufficient, please call our office to discuss your situation in greater detail and we can connect you to the right treatment provider, even if it's not with us.
What to Expect From Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT):
- Increase understanding of and how to manage emotions
- Learn specific skills and strategies to reduce emotional reactivity, improve communication, stress-resilience and more
- Improve stress management without engaging in problematic, harmful behaviors
- Enjoy healthier relationships while maintaining boundaries and self-respect
- Experience inner peace by learning to calm your mind and center yourself
- Recognize and replace distorted thoughts and negative thinking
- Experience more joy and live a worthwhile life